Sunday 13 March 2011

I thought you were the truth.

So yesterday I went out with a friend of mine, and we ended up drinking quite a bit - beer, shots, you name it. Around two a.m. or so, we're trying to decide what to do. I wasn't feeling that tired or sleepy yet, in fact I was feeling oddly energized, and we decided to go down to Incognito and dance the rest of the night away. Cool.
Down we go to the club, the music's loud and good, we drink a bit more, and start to get our groove on... it felt like the pair of us really owned that dance floor. You know how it is - in these things, what with everyone being so crowded, you end up stepping on a number of feet... and there was this girl next to where we were dancing that I might've stepped on a number of times. And every time I did so, I apologised -- I made a point of telling the girl how sorry I was for stomping her with my exquisite moves...
Naturally, thinking that this girl was Portuguese (she kinda looked like it, but in hindsight, maybe not that much...), I apologised in my mother tongue - Portuguese.
Anyway, some time later I'm still on the dance floor, but for some reason - maybe I was tired, maybe I didn't like whatever was being played - I stopped dancing for a while, and took to the opportunity to drink a few sips of my beer, and shortly thereafter I notice that the girl had rested her head on my shoulder and was happily on her way to dreamland. I tapped her on her shoulder, and she opened her very blue eyes and looked at me. I said something to her, I don't know what, maybe something like 'Are you ok?, or whatever.
She looked at me and said that I didn't have to keep apologising. And this she said in English.
Ok, fair enough, but she still looked like she was Portuguese to me, and as such I asked her why she was talking to me in English. Of course, I asked her this in Portuguese.
And she says, she says 'I don't understand a word of Portuguese', in a very slurred manner, like people who are very drunk are wont to.
Oh, ok. Really? So I asked her where she's from, and she tells me that she's from Austria, and that she was here on vacation and that she'd go back home in a couple of days. Sure. I relay all this to my friend, and tell her that at least there was someone there drunker than we were... and with this in my mind, I tell the Austrian girl that she'd be better off if she started drinking huge amounts of water like right then and there, or she was bound to have a very nasty hangover come morning. To which she replies, 'why are you trying to kiss me?'
Huh... I wasn't, I was just telling her what she ought to do, but whatever. I repeat this to her, and she says, 'don't you want to kiss me?'
Wait, what? Where did this come from? What the hell? I asked her for her name - it was either Isabel or Isobell, one of them - and told her that what she needs is water, not smooching in the dark of the club with a complete stranger... And then she asks me, blue eyes and blonde hair poised in seductive mode, 'do you know how old I am?', and I reply, actually thinking about it and looking hard at her, 'I dunno. Maybe twenty-one, twenty-two, tops?'
'I'm eighteen', says she. What? Jesus fuck. 'Get out of here', I said jokingly, 'You can't be eighteen'. Now it was her turn to take a long look at me, and with some petulance in her voice, she said 'why doesn't anyone believe me? I am eighteen!'
Right. Eighteen. Sure. She took me by my hand and takes me to the dance floor. 'Let's dance', she said. Yeah, let's not... I told her that she really had to take it a bit easier, and start drinking water, to go to her friends who were there as well, that's the best thing she could do right  then. In all honesty, I do not know if she did any of what I told her, because I left shortly afterwards -- my friend was starting to feel a bit down and out, and I myself wasn't feeling that hot anymore... we shared a cab back home, and on the way I told this exact same story to my friend, who'd been a bit abandoned while I talked to the crazy drunken Austrian teenager.
Still, one hell of a night, all in all, and it does please me to notice that some things are changing, and changing for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment