So what did I elect to listen this week? Well, nothing less than hip-hop, something I know very little about. Sure, I know some of the more commercial stuff, but certainly nothing from the last 15 years or so. I've listened to stuff from Cypress Hill that I've greatly enjoyed, but that doesn't make me versed in the slightest in the genre. Did I come out a fan? Not really. And because I'm not exactly a connoisseur, I'm not sure what to look for in a song or in an album that would instantly make say 'this is genius'. I can only offer my impressions on it, and as such - impressions were very sparse indeed.
Day 232 - Madvillain - 'Madvillainy'
Liked most of it, some of it left me cold. It gets a 6.5/10
Day 233 - Wu-Tang Clan - 'Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)'
Day 233 - Wu-Tang Clan - 'Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)'
I liked this one much better, in spots it reminded me of Cypress Hill. Maybe a bit too long for my tastes, that's why I can't give it more than a 7.5/10
Day 234 - The Roots - 'Fall Apart'
Day 234 - The Roots - 'Fall Apart'
This one I really didn't enjoy very much. Far too long for its own sake. Just a 5/10
Day 235 - De La Soul - 'De La Soul Is Dead'
Day 235 - De La Soul - 'De La Soul Is Dead'
There's some playfulness to it, but again - overly long, like 75 minutes long, and not even halfway through I'm having trouble differentiating one song from another. I dunno, it's not bad, but for me it was just meh. 5.5/10
Day 236 - OutKast - 'Aquemini'
Day 236 - OutKast - 'Aquemini'
This one alone was so much better than the previous four combined. It was so, so good. Lots of actual melodies, and lots of actual singing, and at over 75 minutes long it was just so damn good it never outstayed its welcome. For me it gets a 9/10
Day 237 - Kendrick Lamar - 'Damn'
Initially, I had chosen his 'Good Kid, m.A.A.d City', but it's 101 minutes long on Apple Music. Fuck that, ain't nobody got time for that. So I chose 'Damn' instead.
Day 237 - Kendrick Lamar - 'Damn'
Initially, I had chosen his 'Good Kid, m.A.A.d City', but it's 101 minutes long on Apple Music. Fuck that, ain't nobody got time for that. So I chose 'Damn' instead.
By the end of it, I thought to myself, 'Damn'. But in a sense of 'Damn, this shit was really bad'. And it was - at least for my tastes. Pretty mediocre. It gets a very generous 1/10
Day 238 - A Tribe Called Quest - 'The Low End Theory'
Day 238 - A Tribe Called Quest - 'The Low End Theory'
It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It was just OK. I appreciate the artistry, but it does nothing for me. Felt like a 45 minute song that sounded pretty much the same. I don't know. Probably worthy of a 5/10
No comments:
Post a Comment